[VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

[VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

Gerhard Petracek-2
Hi,

I was running the needed tasks to get the 21th release of Apache DeltaSpike
out.
The artifacts are deployed to Nexus [1] (and [2]).

The tag is available at [3] and the release-branch at [4].
They will get pushed to the ASF repository once the vote passed.

Please take a look at the 1.5.2 artifacts and vote!

Please note:
This vote is "majority approval" with a minimum of three +1 votes (see [5]).

[ ] +1 for community members who have reviewed the bits
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 for fatal flaws that should cause these bits not to be released, and
why..............

Gerhard

[1]
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/
[2]
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/org/apache/deltaspike/deltaspike/1.5.2/deltaspike-1.5.2-source-release.zip
[3] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/deltaspike-1.5.2
[4] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/ds-1.5.2
[5] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

John D. Ament
+1
On Dec 6, 2015 14:54, "Gerhard Petracek" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was running the needed tasks to get the 21th release of Apache DeltaSpike
> out.
> The artifacts are deployed to Nexus [1] (and [2]).
>
> The tag is available at [3] and the release-branch at [4].
> They will get pushed to the ASF repository once the vote passed.
>
> Please take a look at the 1.5.2 artifacts and vote!
>
> Please note:
> This vote is "majority approval" with a minimum of three +1 votes (see
> [5]).

> [ ] +1 for community members who have reviewed the bits
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1 for fatal flaws that should cause these bits not to be released, and
> why..............
>
> Thanks,
> Gerhard
>
> [1]
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/
> [2]
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/org/apache/deltaspike/deltaspike/1.5.2/deltaspike-1.5.2-source-release.zip
> [3] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/deltaspike-1.5.2
> [4] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/ds-1.5.2
> [5] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

Christian Kaltepoth
+1

--
Christian Kaltepoth
Blog: http://blog.kaltepoth.de/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/chkal
GitHub: https://github.com/chkal

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

Romain Manni-Bucau
+1
Le 7 déc. 2015 08:20, "Christian Kaltepoth" <[hidden email]> a
écrit :

> +1

> > +1
> > On Dec 6, 2015 14:54, "Gerhard Petracek" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I was running the needed tasks to get the 21th release of Apache
> > DeltaSpike
> > > out.
> > > The artifacts are deployed to Nexus [1] (and [2]).
> > >
> > > The tag is available at [3] and the release-branch at [4].
> > > They will get pushed to the ASF repository once the vote passed.
> > >
> > > Please take a look at the 1.5.2 artifacts and vote!
> > >
> > > Please note:
> > > This vote is "majority approval" with a minimum of three +1 votes (see
> > > [5]).

> > > [ ] +1 for community members who have reviewed the bits
> > > [ ] +0
> > > [ ] -1 for fatal flaws that should cause these bits not to be released,
> > and
> > > why..............
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Gerhard
> > >
> > > [1]
> > >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/
> > > [2]
> > >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/org/apache/deltaspike/deltaspike/1.5.2/deltaspike-1.5.2-source-release.zip
> > > [3] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/deltaspike-1.5.2
> > > [4] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/ds-1.5.2
> > > [5] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes
> > >

> --
> Christian Kaltepoth
> Blog: http://blog.kaltepoth.de/
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/chkal
> GitHub: https://github.com/chkal

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

Thomas Andraschko-2
+1

> +1
> Le 7 déc. 2015 08:20, "Christian Kaltepoth" <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
>
> > +1

> > > +1

> > > DeltaSpike

> (see

> released,
> > > and

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/
> > > >

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/org/apache/deltaspike/deltaspike/1.5.2/deltaspike-1.5.2-source-release.zip
> > > >

> > --
> > Christian Kaltepoth
> > Blog: http://blog.kaltepoth.de/
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/chkal
> > GitHub: https://github.com/chkal

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

Harald Wellmann
-1.

This release breaks one of my applications (again) with an exception in
DeltaSpike Data.

I'll get back with a JIRA ticket once I've identified the cause, which
will probably be too late for this vote.

The release will go ahead anyway, and I don't really object to that, if
people are waiting for improvements in other areas, but this feels like
a déjà vu.

In fact, each of the previous releases broke my applications in one way
or another, so I think the bottom line is this: There have been too many
subtle incompatible changes going on in DeltaSpike Data that in theory
should never happen with a patch release, and apparently there's too
little test coverage or too much happy path testing, or else these
incompatibilities would have been noticed sooner.

Looks like we should spend some more time on Data tests before working
on bugs or new features.

Regards,
Harald

Am 06.12.2015 um 20:54 schrieb Gerhard Petracek:

> Hi,
>
> I was running the needed tasks to get the 21th release of Apache DeltaSpike
> out.
> The artifacts are deployed to Nexus [1] (and [2]).
>
> The tag is available at [3] and the release-branch at [4].
> They will get pushed to the ASF repository once the vote passed.
>
> Please take a look at the 1.5.2 artifacts and vote!
>
> Please note:
> This vote is "majority approval" with a minimum of three +1 votes (see [5]).

> [ ] +1 for community members who have reviewed the bits
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1 for fatal flaws that should cause these bits not to be released, and
> why..............
>
> Thanks,
> Gerhard
>
> [1]
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/
> [2]
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/org/apache/deltaspike/deltaspike/1.5.2/deltaspike-1.5.2-source-release.zip
> [3] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/deltaspike-1.5.2
> [4] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/ds-1.5.2
> [5] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

Jason Porter
Harald, you have tests or an app to verify your statements? If so I'll give
a -1 to the release.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

Gerhard Petracek-2
hi harald,

since we have seen just 3 commits in the data-module (for this release),
i guess it's due to DELTASPIKE-1009 which fixes a regression caused by
DELTASPIKE-594.
however, we couldn't test it with an osgi-based application.

as mentioned in the past:
everybody is very welcome to help with the osgi part (esp. with tests) or
we have to drop the unofficial (and still partial) osgi-support.

regards,

> -1.
>
> This release breaks one of my applications (again) with an exception in
> DeltaSpike Data.
>
> I'll get back with a JIRA ticket once I've identified the cause, which
> will probably be too late for this vote.
>
> The release will go ahead anyway, and I don't really object to that, if
> people are waiting for improvements in other areas, but this feels like a
> déjà vu.
>
> In fact, each of the previous releases broke my applications in one way or
> another, so I think the bottom line is this: There have been too many
> subtle incompatible changes going on in DeltaSpike Data that in theory
> should never happen with a patch release, and apparently there's too little
> test coverage or too much happy path testing, or else these
> incompatibilities would have been noticed sooner.
>
> Looks like we should spend some more time on Data tests before working on
> bugs or new features.
>
> Regards,
> Harald
>

> Am 06.12.2015 um 20:54 schrieb Gerhard Petracek:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was running the needed tasks to get the 21th release of Apache
>> DeltaSpike
>> out.
>> The artifacts are deployed to Nexus [1] (and [2]).
>>
>> The tag is available at [3] and the release-branch at [4].
>> They will get pushed to the ASF repository once the vote passed.
>>
>> Please take a look at the 1.5.2 artifacts and vote!
>>
>> Please note:
>> This vote is "majority approval" with a minimum of three +1 votes (see
>> [5]).

>> [ ] +1 for community members who have reviewed the bits
>> [ ] +0
>> [ ] -1 for fatal flaws that should cause these bits not to be released,
>> and
>> why..............
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gerhard
>>
>> [1]
>>
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/
>> [2]
>>
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike-1031/org/apache/deltaspike/deltaspike/1.5.2/deltaspike-1.5.2-source-release.zip
>> [3] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/deltaspike-1.5.2
>> [4] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/ds-1.5.2
>> [5] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes

RE: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

MarvinToll
At Ford, we have continued to be impacted (as well) by "issues" with the DM.  In recent weeks, we came to the independent conclusion that the DM test suite is probably inadequate.

We are also interested in performance --- not that we have any basis for a concern.  Rather, just wondering if the additional DM layer has an impact on "native" (for us EclipseLink) performance/scalability - and whether the DM test suite includes a performance check for releases?

_Marvin

This release breaks one of my applications (again) with an exception in DeltaSpike Data.

I'll get back with a JIRA ticket once I've identified the cause, which will probably be too late for this vote.

The release will go ahead anyway, and I don't really object to that, if people are waiting for improvements in other areas, but this feels like a déjà vu.

In fact, each of the previous releases broke my applications in one way or another, so I think the bottom line is this: There have been too many subtle incompatible changes going on in DeltaSpike Data that in theory should never happen with a patch release, and apparently there's too little test coverage or too much happy path testing, or else these incompatibilities would have been noticed sooner.

Looks like we should spend some more time on Data tests before working on bugs or new features.

Regards,
Harald

Am 06.12.2015 um 20:54 schrieb Gerhard Petracek:

> Hi,
>
> I was running the needed tasks to get the 21th release of Apache
> DeltaSpike out.
> The artifacts are deployed to Nexus [1] (and [2]).
>
> The tag is available at [3] and the release-branch at [4].
> They will get pushed to the ASF repository once the vote passed.
>
> Please take a look at the 1.5.2 artifacts and vote!
>
> Please note:
> This vote is "majority approval" with a minimum of three +1 votes (see [5]).

> [ ] +1 for community members who have reviewed the bits [ ] +0 [ ] -1
> for fatal flaws that should cause these bits not to be released, and
> why..............
>
> Thanks,
> Gerhard
>
> [1]
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike
> -1031/
> [2]
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedeltaspike
> -1031/org/apache/deltaspike/deltaspike/1.5.2/deltaspike-1.5.2-source-r
> elease.zip [3]
> https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/deltaspike-1.5.2
> [4] https://github.com/os890/deltaspike-vote/tree/ds-1.5.2
> [5] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#ReleaseVotes

|  USA Cell: 248.866.4897
|  Email: Marvin@gtcGroup.com
|  Web: http://MarvinToll.com
|  Skype: marvin.toll

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

Mark Struberg
Administrator
Hi Marvin!

As always: we are happy to get any feedback on how to improve those tests. Please note that this is a PERFECT opportunity to get actively involed in the DeltaSpike community as well.

I know that there is some sentiment in big companies when it comes to contributing to OSS projects. But what those managers do NOT see is that there are _huge_ benefits by doing so:

* The problems get fixed exactly where they appear - and you don’t need any weird workaround in your own code (which is very ugly, makes your code much harder to maintain and is potentially broken with later releases)
* If you got a problem then you can easily make sure it gets fixed. Try that with any closed source project ;) Serious, I sometimes did wait up to 1 year for important bug fixes in non-OSS projects.
* You get to know the people. So if you really have any troubles then I bet you will get a solution and feedback almost imediately.

Please check out the code and maybe you and your team can give us feedback in which area we lack tests. Or even provide own tests as well? This is the first step to becoming a committer yourself ;)

txs and LieGrue,
strub

> Am 08.12.2015 um 12:47 schrieb Marvin Toll <[hidden email]>:
>
> At Ford, we have continued to be impacted (as well) by "issues" with the DM.  In recent weeks, we came to the independent conclusion that the DM test suite is probably inadequate.
>
> We are also interested in performance --- not that we have any basis for a concern.  Rather, just wondering if the additional DM layer has an impact on "native" (for us EclipseLink) performance/scalability - and whether the DM test suite includes a performance check for releases?
>
> _Marvin

We had small talk about performance here:
http://apache-deltaspike-incubator-discussions.2316169.n4.nabble.com/multithreaded-repository-issues-td4660132.html
Till now, it seems that nobody did a real benchmark between DS and plain
JPA.
But please open new discussion about it - this is not related to the
release vote.

> At Ford, we have continued to be impacted (as well) by "issues" with the
> DM.  In recent weeks, we came to the independent conclusion that the DM
> test suite is probably inadequate.
>
> We are also interested in performance --- not that we have any basis for a
> concern.  Rather, just wondering if the additional DM layer has an impact
> on "native" (for us EclipseLink) performance/scalability - and whether the
> DM test suite includes a performance check for releases?
>
> _Marvin

Jason Porter
http://en.gravatar.com/lightguardjp

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

Harald Wellmann
Hi Gerhard,

sorry for not getting back sooner...

So far, I figured out that the regression I've seen was introduced
between 1.5.0 and 1.5.1, and not in 1.5.2 - I tested with an application
that was running on DS 1.5.0 previously.

It seems I missed the end of the vote by a few hours, otherwise I would
change my vote now, and I apologize for any premature confusion.

By the way, the regressions I've been talking about, now and previously
for some 1.4.x releases, are not related to Pax CDI or OSGi at all.

They all relate to my current commercial closed source daytime projects
which are based on WildFly 9. There's no OSGi inside, and nothing out of
the ordinary, I would think. We just happen to be using DeltaSpike Data
for our persistence layer, and we've been bitten by incompatible changes
after upgrading DS a couple of times now.

I'll try to isolate some of my issues and contribute new tests for those
use cases that have been fragile for us, and there's a couple of ideas
I'd like to discuss in separate threads.

Best regards,
Harald

Am 08.12.2015 um 01:44 schrieb Gerhard Petracek:

> hi harald,
>
> since we have seen just 3 commits in the data-module (for this release),
> i guess it's due to DELTASPIKE-1009 which fixes a regression caused by
> DELTASPIKE-594.
> however, we couldn't test it with an osgi-based application.
>
> as mentioned in the past:
> everybody is very welcome to help with the osgi part (esp. with tests) or
> we have to drop the unofficial (and still partial) osgi-support.
>
> regards,
> gerhard

Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache DeltaSpike 1.5.2

Gerhard Petracek-2
hi harald,

ok - that's why i said "i guess" - with v1.5.2 there was only one commit in
the data-module which >could< have introduced a regression (for
applications based on osgi).
however, i'm happy to hear that we don't have a new regression (hopefully
the mentioned part still works for applications based on osgi).

+1 for contributing additional tests!

regards,