Design help for the logo

Pete Muir
Hi all,

I’ve managed to secure some design time from one of Red Hat’s design contractors, Jim Parenti (based in Chicago, so expect him to respond from that timezone :-).

I’ve pointed him at http://deltaspike.apache.org and he immediately asked me "Aside from the description shown on that sample page, is there some background available on where the name comes from?” - so we wanted to open it up to the full group to start getting input.

I think any other ideas or thoughts you may have about logos will also be gratefully received!

Please make sure you keep Jim in the cc when you respond, as he isn’t on the DeltaSpike mailing list (Gerhard is going to make sure his mails get through to the list).

Pete

Re: Design help for the logo

Gerhard Petracek
Administrator
hi jim,

as with codi [1] we thought about a project name which is (/sounds like) a
first-/nick-name.
furthermore, it should be "close" to the underlying technology.

i came up with 'spike' and it was the only name which most of the other
founders liked as well.
however, since 'spike' was reserved already, we added 'delta' to indicate
that the project "closes gaps" (see [2] - e.g. slide #45).

regards,
gerhard

[1] http://myfaces.apache.org/extensions/cdi/index.html
[2]
http://os890.blogspot.com/2012/05/slides-myfaces-codi-and-seam3-become.html

> Hi all,
>
> I’ve managed to secure some design time from one of Red Hat’s design
> contractors, Jim Parenti (based in Chicago, so expect him to respond from
> that timezone :-).
>
> I’ve pointed him at http://deltaspike.apache.org and he immediately asked
> me "Aside from the description shown on that sample page, is there some
> background available on where the name comes from?” - so we wanted to open
> it up to the full group to start getting input.
>
> I think any other ideas or thoughts you may have about logos will also be
> gratefully received!
>
> Please make sure you keep Jim in the cc when you respond, as he isn’t on
> the DeltaSpike mailing list (Gerhard is going to make sure his mails get
> through to the list).
>
> Pete

Re: Design help for the logo

Ron Smeral
The first moment I heard "DeltaSpike", I thought "sudden change", "a
rush of changes" (a spike in the number of deltas).
"Delta" as in a difference, or a change, and "spike" as in "a sharp
increase in the magnitude or concentration of something".

Just my 0.02$.

--
Ron Smeral
JBoss Quality Engineer
Brno

Re: Design help for the logo

James Parenti
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your input. This is helpful. I’ll get some sketches going this afternoon (CST).

Talk soon,

Jim

----------------------------------
James Parenti
Visuale
1800 W. Cornelia Avenue
Chicago, IL 60657
Office: 773.234.0178
Cell: 773.469.8843
Skype: jamesparenti
Google: google.com/+JamesParentiVisuale
http://www.visuale.net

Re: Design help for the logo

Mark Struberg
Administrator
Hi Jim!

I personally have 2 spontaneous thoughts coming to my mind.

The first one is a positive 'spike' in productivity. DeltaSpike really helps you to get your work done far faster.

The other one is kind of a 'negative' spike. Like a gorge between two mountains. DeltaSpike helps to glue together the loose ends of Java EE - to close the gap between some of the specs. We really fill those deltas with cement and make them vanish for the users to create a kind of seamless experience - heh, just noticed: and also a seam less experience for those who get the joke ;)