DeltaSpike planning

Jason Porter
As we near the release for v0.3-incubating I'd like to discuss a couple of
ideas I've been thinking about for a little while.

The first is our roadmap, or perhaps more adequately, the lack of a
roadmap. I know we've gotten better at looking at what's next, at least for
v0.4-incubating we're looking at IDM, JSF and possibly Spring and XML
Config. That's better than what we have had in the past. I'd like us to
continue to discuss what and when we plan on doing things. Having that
information up on our site and / or JIRA would be very helpful for our
users, contributors and community at large. I think it also helps us focus
what we're working on for a particular release to minimize creep. I hope we
would end up with a more long term high level roadmap to 1.0. Of course
that roadmap would be subject to change, but at least everyone would know
approximately when their favorite feature would be making its DeltaSpike
debut.

Along those lines would be release timing. We haven't had any sort of
schedule we're aiming to keep. The last two releases have been around 8
weeks, but they've drifted, as I recall. I propose we lock down a time
frame for releases, six weeks, eight weeks, whatever it may be. This should
help us with timing and also what goes into the various releases.

--
Jason Porter
http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com

Software Engineer
Open Source Advocate

PGP key id: 926CCFF5

Re: DeltaSpike planning

Bruno Oliveira-2
Hi Jason,

+1

Are you talking about the part 4 from https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DeltaSpike/Security+Module+Drafts, right? I think that Shane has been working in some ideas to the authentication API and maybe we could start the discussions about IDM, count me in for it.

Do you have plans or ideas to authenticate REST resources and token based authentication?

-
@abstractj
-
Volenti Nihil Difficile

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Jason Porter wrote:

> As we near the release for v0.3-incubating I'd like to discuss a couple of
> ideas I've been thinking about for a little while.
>
> The first is our roadmap, or perhaps more adequately, the lack of a
> roadmap. I know we've gotten better at looking at what's next, at least for
> v0.4-incubating we're looking at IDM, JSF and possibly Spring and XML
> Config. That's better than what we have had in the past. I'd like us to
> continue to discuss what and when we plan on doing things. Having that
> information up on our site and / or JIRA would be very helpful for our
> users, contributors and community at large. I think it also helps us focus
> what we're working on for a particular release to minimize creep. I hope we
> would end up with a more long term high level roadmap to 1.0. Of course
> that roadmap would be subject to change, but at least everyone would know
> approximately when their favorite feature would be making its DeltaSpike
> debut.
>
> Along those lines would be release timing. We haven't had any sort of
> schedule we're aiming to keep. The last two releases have been around 8
> weeks, but they've drifted, as I recall. I propose we lock down a time
> frame for releases, six weeks, eight weeks, whatever it may be. This should
> help us with timing and also what goes into the various releases.
>
> --
> Jason Porter
> http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
> http://twitter.com/lightguardjp
>
> Software Engineer
> Open Source Advocate
> Author of Seam Catch - Next Generation Java Exception Handling
>
> PGP key id: 926CCFF5
> PGP key available at: keyserver.net (http://keyserver.net), pgp.mit.edu

Re: DeltaSpike planning

Jason Porter
I'm talking about ALL of DeltaSpike, not just security

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Bruno Oliveira <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> +1
>
> Are you talking about the part 4 from
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DeltaSpike/Security+Module+Drafts,
> right? I think that Shane has been working in some ideas to the
> authentication API and maybe we could start the discussions about IDM,
> count me in for it.
>

> Do you have plans or ideas to authenticate REST resources and token based
> authentication?
>
> --
> "The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
> -
> @abstractj
> -
> Volenti Nihil Difficile
>

> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Jason Porter wrote:
>
> > As we near the release for v0.3-incubating I'd like to discuss a couple
> of
> > ideas I've been thinking about for a little while.
> >
> > The first is our roadmap, or perhaps more adequately, the lack of a
> > roadmap. I know we've gotten better at looking at what's next, at least
> for
> > v0.4-incubating we're looking at IDM, JSF and possibly Spring and XML
> > Config. That's better than what we have had in the past. I'd like us to
> > continue to discuss what and when we plan on doing things. Having that
> > information up on our site and / or JIRA would be very helpful for our
> > users, contributors and community at large. I think it also helps us
> focus
> > what we're working on for a particular release to minimize creep. I hope
> we
> > would end up with a more long term high level roadmap to 1.0. Of course
> > that roadmap would be subject to change, but at least everyone would know
> > approximately when their favorite feature would be making its DeltaSpike
> > debut.
> >
> > Along those lines would be release timing. We haven't had any sort of
> > schedule we're aiming to keep. The last two releases have been around 8
> > weeks, but they've drifted, as I recall. I propose we lock down a time
> > frame for releases, six weeks, eight weeks, whatever it may be. This
> should
> > help us with timing and also what goes into the various releases.
> >
> > --
> > Jason Porter
> > http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
> > http://twitter.com/lightguardjp
> >
> > Software Engineer
> > Open Source Advocate
> > Author of Seam Catch - Next Generation Java Exception Handling
> >
> > PGP key id: 926CCFF5
> > PGP key available at: keyserver.net (http://keyserver.net), pgp.mit.edu

--
Jason Porter
http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/lightguardjp

Software Engineer
Open Source Advocate

PGP key id: 926CCFF5

Re: DeltaSpike planning

Pete Muir
I think a high level roadmap, showing how we get from here to 1.0, will help a lot:

* it will give users confidence that their favourite feature will be added
* it will give people planning new projects based on CDI an understanding of when they can start adding DeltaSpike to their project, and allow them to plan out their work better
* it will allow people (like JBoss projects such as Aerogear) to understand when they should plan to incorporate DeltaSpike
* will give people interested in adding features to DeltaSpike (such as some of the Seam contributors) an understanding of when it's a good idea to start working on it
* it will give us a clearer understanding of what our priorities are
* generally, it gives a picture of "good health" to a project

On this high level roadmap, we would just have some very basic info e.g.

0.4, targeting 01-01-2001:

* IDM
* Spring bridge
* securing REST resources

(all for example ;-)

Obviously, this would need a big warning at the top, that this is the proposed roadmap.

On 20 Jul 2012, at 18:13, Bruno Oliveira wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> +1
>
> Are you talking about the part 4 from https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DeltaSpike/Security+Module+Drafts, right? I think that Shane has been working in some ideas to the authentication API and maybe we could start the discussions about IDM, count me in for it.
>

> Do you have plans or ideas to authenticate REST resources and token based authentication?

I think we should, especially if we can have someone like you help us with documenting the use cases and requirements on the page you mention :-D

> --
> "The measure of a man is what he does with power" - Plato
> -
> @abstractj
> -
> Volenti Nihil Difficile
>

> On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Jason Porter wrote:
>
>> As we near the release for v0.3-incubating I'd like to discuss a couple of
>> ideas I've been thinking about for a little while.
>>
>> The first is our roadmap, or perhaps more adequately, the lack of a
>> roadmap. I know we've gotten better at looking at what's next, at least for
>> v0.4-incubating we're looking at IDM, JSF and possibly Spring and XML
>> Config. That's better than what we have had in the past. I'd like us to
>> continue to discuss what and when we plan on doing things. Having that
>> information up on our site and / or JIRA would be very helpful for our
>> users, contributors and community at large. I think it also helps us focus
>> what we're working on for a particular release to minimize creep. I hope we
>> would end up with a more long term high level roadmap to 1.0. Of course
>> that roadmap would be subject to change, but at least everyone would know
>> approximately when their favorite feature would be making its DeltaSpike
>> debut.
>>
>> Along those lines would be release timing. We haven't had any sort of
>> schedule we're aiming to keep. The last two releases have been around 8
>> weeks, but they've drifted, as I recall. I propose we lock down a time
>> frame for releases, six weeks, eight weeks, whatever it may be. This should
>> help us with timing and also what goes into the various releases.
>>
>> --
>> Jason Porter
>> http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
>> http://twitter.com/lightguardjp
>>
>> Software Engineer
>> Open Source Advocate
>> Author of Seam Catch - Next Generation Java Exception Handling
>>
>> PGP key id: 926CCFF5
>> PGP key available at: keyserver.net (http://keyserver.net), pgp.mit.edu

Re: DeltaSpike planning

Marius Bogoevici
+1 (to both you and Jason)

On 2012-07-24, at 9:01 AM, Pete Muir wrote:

> [...]
>>> that roadmap would be subject to change, but at least everyone would know
>>> approximately when their favorite feature would be making its DeltaSpike
>>> debut.
>>>
>>> Along those lines would be release timing. We haven't had any sort of
>>> schedule we're aiming to keep. The last two releases have been around 8
>>> weeks, but they've drifted, as I recall. I propose we lock down a time
>>> frame for releases, six weeks, eight weeks, whatever it may be. This should
>>> help us with timing and also what goes into the various releases.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jason Porter
>>> http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
>>> http://twitter.com/lightguardjp
>>>
>>> Software Engineer
>>> Open Source Advocate
>>> Author of Seam Catch - Next Generation Java Exception Handling

A high level roadmap is really important atm.

-
@abstractj
-
Volenti Nihil Difficile

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Pete Muir wrote:

> I think a high level roadmap, showing how we get from here to 1.0, will help a lot:
>
> * it will give users confidence that their favourite feature will be added
> * it will give people planning new projects based on CDI an understanding of when they can start adding DeltaSpike to their project, and allow them to plan out their work better
> * it will allow people (like JBoss projects such as Aerogear) to understand when they should plan to incorporate DeltaSpike

We've already incorporated DeltaSpike security modules into our demo and currently DS support is being added to aerogear-controller.