[DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

12

[DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Mark Struberg
Administrator
Hi folks!

It's time to start working on ds-0.4-incubating.

Here is my personal list of things I like to work on:

* review/cleanup our JPA module
* review ConfigurableDataSource in hindsight of JPA in EE6
* add JSF module
* migrate over @ViewScoped
* add ComparableQualifier to the core

I'd like to start with adding the @ViewScoped stuff (as I wrote the original parts for both codi and seam3), the ComparableQualifier and later on do the JPA cleanup.

What do others like to work on?

What timeframe do we set for 0.4-incubating?

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Adrian Gonzalez
Hi,

Very good news for the JSF module !

Is there somewhere the list of expected features for the JSF module ?

Here's a list of features that I would personnally use as a JSF developer in my day to day work (ranking from most used to least used).

If this list doesn't have any sense to you, please just drop the mail ;)

* s:viewAction
 For those not having JSF 2.2
* UIInputContainer
  http://docs.jboss.org/seam/3/faces/latest/reference/en-US/html/components.html#UIInputContainer
* Exception
  JSF ExceptionHandler for DS Exception (c.f. Seam Faces Module)
* ProjectStage
  Automatically bind to JSF projectStage
* Locale and MessageResolver
 Automatically bind to JSF locale and message.
* Scopes (CODI ViewAccess, CODI Conversation, ...)
* Security
  authentication, El to handle authorization / permission
 something like #{s:hasRole('admin')}, #{identify.login}
 see JSF scenarii in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DeltaSpike/Security+Module+Drafts
* Theme handling
  http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.2.Final/reference/en-US/html/i18n.html#d0e14307
* Seam Application Framework
  Or something similar / simple to use and understand.
  http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.2.Final/reference/en-US/html/framework.htmlBest regards,

Best regards,
________________________________

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Mark Struberg
Thanks for your feedback!

I don't know all the details but the list look good so far.

> * ProjectStage
>    Automatically bind to JSF projectStage
That should work even with 0.3 as we already check the property, environment and JNDI locations for it. What does _not_ work is defining the ProjectStage via web.xml. But we discussed this in CODI quite lengthy and ended up considering that broken anyway. Reason is that the WAR file shall not change regardless on which box you install it (production, staging, ...)

> * Locale and MessageResolver
>    Automatically bind to JSF locale and message.
Definitely! We already designed the whole Message stuff in hindsight of that.

The others look good as well (but are not my main domain, so others should review/tweak).

>________________________________

Hi Mark,

> What does _not_ work is defining the ProjectStage via web.xml.

Is there a way to tell JSF to use DS projectStage instead of web.xml ?
(in this way if I want during development mode to modify current projectStage from Development to Production, I only have to modify it in one location - not in DS AND JSF web.xml)

I don't know all the details but the list look good so far.

> * ProjectStage
>    Automatically bind to JSF projectStage
That should work even with 0.3 as we already check the property, environment and JNDI locations for it. What does _not_ work is defining the ProjectStage via web.xml. But we discussed this in CODI quite lengthy and ended up considering that broken anyway. Reason is that the WAR file shall not change regardless on which box you install it (production, staging, ...)

> * Locale and MessageResolver
>    Automatically bind to JSF locale and message.
Definitely! We already designed the whole Message stuff in hindsight of that.

The others look good as well (but are not my main domain, so others should review/tweak).

>________________________________

Romain Manni-Bucau
"Is there a way to tell JSF to use DS projectStage instead of web.xml ?
(in this way if I want during development mode to modify current
projectStage from Development to Production, I only have to modify it in
one location - not in DS AND JSF web.xml) "

i think the opposite is doable easily or it is vendor specific IMO

*Romain Manni-Bucau*
*Twitter: @rmannibucau*
*Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com*

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Mark Struberg
No, there is no way. We use the same configuration, thus it will be the 'same'. The Problem is that the JSF ProjectStage is a simple Enum and thus cannot be extended. Whereas DS ProjectStage is extensible. If you configure such an extended ProjectStage then JSF will fallback to 'Production' for the JSF core.

>>  What does _not_ work is defining the ProjectStage via web.xml.
>
> Is there a way to tell JSF to use DS projectStage instead of web.xml ?
> (in this way if I want during development mode to modify current projectStage
> from Development to Production, I only have to modify it in one location - not
> in DS AND JSF web.xml)

Well I actually would NOT recommend setting the ProjectStage via web.xml at all!

Please either use an environment variable
> -Djavax.faces.ProjectStage=Development

or via JNDI, in tomcat e.g. in conf/context.xml :
>    <Environment name="jsf/ProjectStage" value="SystemTest"
>         type="java.lang.String" override="false"/>

>& quot;Is there a way to tell JSF to use DS projectStage instead of web.xml ?
> (in this way if I want during development mode to modify current
> projectStage from Development to Production, I only have to modify it in
> one location - not in DS AND JSF web.xml) "
>
> i think the opposite is doable easily or it is vendor specific IMO
>
> *Romain Manni-Bucau*
> *Twitter: @rmannibucau*
> *Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com*

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Charles Moulliard-2
Hi Mark,

the list of items proposed seems really interesting. I would like to add
some points like

- Improve documentation,
- Improve TCK (how to use it, testing it),
- Integration tests (do we have enough tests and do we cover what is
required) ?

Time frame could be 4-5 months

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Moulliard
Twitter : @cmoulliard
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Mehdi Heidarzadeh
> Seam Application Framework
> Or something similar / simple to use and understand.

http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.2.Final/reference/en-US/html/framework.htmlBestregards,

I think we have something similar to this already developed by Thomas
Hug<https://plus.google.com/100910414952656230590>which is named
cdi-query.
Thomas has already
announced<http://apache-deltaspike-incubator-discussions.2316169.n4.nabble.com/Porting-the-CDI-Query-extension-project-to-DeltaSpike-td4329922.html>that
wants to port it to DS.
We can ask him to attend in this thread too.
Take a look at this :
http://ctpconsulting.github.com/query/1.0.0.Alpha4/index.html
And his blog post here : http://ctpjava.blogspot.com/

I think Jason has used cdi-query and can talk about it better.

Jason WDYT?

--
Mehdi Heidarzadeh Ardalani
Independent JEE Consultant, Architect and Developer.
http://www.TheBigJavaBlog.com

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Paul Dijou-2
Hi guys,

If I should add one feature to Adrian's great list, it would be a generic
converter and I think I would place it near the top since it's really
useful for components like selectOneMenu or selectManyMenu.

This feature was in Seam 2, named <s:convertEntity> or <s:convertEnum>, see
http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.2.Final/reference/en-US/html/controls.html#d0e28716

Regards,

Paul.

2012/8/24 Mehdi Heidarzadeh <[hidden email]>

> > Seam Application Framework
> > Or something similar / simple to use and understand.
> >

> http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.2.Final/reference/en-US/html/framework.htmlBestregards
> ,
>
> I think we have something similar to this already developed by Thomas
> Hug<https://plus.google.com/100910414952656230590>which is named
> cdi-query.
> Thomas has already
> announced<
> http://apache-deltaspike-incubator-discussions.2316169.n4.nabble.com/Porting-the-CDI-Query-extension-project-to-DeltaSpike-td4329922.html
> >that
> wants to port it to DS.
> We can ask him to attend in this thread too.
> Take a look at this :
> http://ctpconsulting.github.com/query/1.0.0.Alpha4/index.html
> And his blog post here : http://ctpjava.blogspot.com/
>
> I think Jason has used cdi-query and can talk about it better.
>
> Jason WDYT?
>
> --
> Mehdi Heidarzadeh Ardalani
> Independent JEE Consultant, Architect and Developer.
> http://www.TheBigJavaBlog.com

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Adrian Gonzalez
Hi Paul,

For generic converter, I've seen omnifaces SelectItemsConverter.

Not really generic, but it's the best I've used for now.
https://showcase-omnifaces.rhcloud.com/showcase/converters/SelectItemsConverter.xhtml

If I should add one feature to Adrian's great list, it would be a generic
converter and I think I would place it near the top since it's really
useful for components like selectOneMenu or selectManyMenu.

This feature was in Seam 2, named <s:convertEntity> or <s:convertEnum>, see
http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.2.Final/reference/en-US/html/controls.html#d0e28716

Regards,

Paul.

2012/8/24 Mehdi Heidarzadeh <[hidden email]>

> > Seam Application Framework
> > Or something similar / simple to use and understand.
> >

> http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.2.Final/reference/en-US/html/framework.htmlBestregards
> ,
>
> I think we have something similar to this already developed by Thomas
> Hug<https://plus.google.com/100910414952656230590>which is named
> cdi-query.
> Thomas has already
> announced<
> http://apache-deltaspike-incubator-discussions.2316169.n4.nabble.com/Porting-the-CDI-Query-extension-project-to-DeltaSpike-td4329922.html
> >that
> wants to port it to DS.
> We can ask him to attend in this thread too.
> Take a look at this :
> http://ctpconsulting.github.com/query/1.0.0.Alpha4/index.html
> And his blog post here : http://ctpjava.blogspot.com/
>
> I think Jason has used cdi-query and can talk about it better.
>
> Jason WDYT?
>
> --
> Mehdi Heidarzadeh Ardalani
> Independent JEE Consultant, Architect and Developer.
> http://www.TheBigJavaBlog.com

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Mark Struberg
No, there is no portable way to set this in JSF afaik.
But if bot DS and JSF use the _same_ source for determining the ProjectStage, then they basically will get the same results.

>>  What does _not_ work is defining the ProjectStage via web.xml.
>
> Is there a way to tell JSF to use DS projectStage instead of web.xml ?
> (in this way if I want during development mode to modify current projectStage
> from Development to Production, I only have to modify it in one location - not
> in DS AND JSF web.xml)

Pete Muir

On 24 Aug 2012, at 12:52, Mehdi Heidarzadeh wrote:

>> Seam Application Framework
>> Or something similar / simple to use and understand.
>>
> http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.2.Final/reference/en-US/html/framework.htmlBestregards,
>
> I think we have something similar to this already developed by Thomas
> Hug<https://plus.google.com/100910414952656230590>which is named
> cdi-query.
> Thomas has already
> announced<http://apache-deltaspike-incubator-discussions.2316169.n4.nabble.com/Porting-the-CDI-Query-extension-project-to-DeltaSpike-td4329922.html>that
> wants to port it to DS.
> We can ask him to attend in this thread too.
> Take a look at this :
> http://ctpconsulting.github.com/query/1.0.0.Alpha4/index.html
> And his blog post here : http://ctpjava.blogspot.com/
>
> I think Jason has used cdi-query and can talk about it better.
>
> Jason WDYT?

Jason in on vacation atm, and is only periodically checking email. I can pretend to be a poor clone of him ;-)

Yes, we really like cdi-query, and think it's a great successor to the Seam Application Framework. I think Thomas is on this list? If so, we would definitely support him moving it to Deltaspike, modulo the usual review and improvement work :-)

HTH

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Pete Muir
As I mentioned, Jason is on vacation atm, so I'll just insert a placeholder that he was planning on migrating the XML config from Seam into DeltaSpike.

If we can refrain from an extensive discussion until he is back from vacation, that will make the discussion flow a lot better :-) I just wanted to put this on the radar...

HTH

On 24 Aug 2012, at 09:35, Mark Struberg wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> It's time to start working on ds-0.4-incubating.
>

> Here is my personal list of things I like to work on:
>
> * review/cleanup our JPA module
> * review ConfigurableDataSource in hindsight of JPA in EE6
> * add JSF module
> * migrate over @ViewScoped
> * add ComparableQualifier to the core
>

> I'd like to start with adding the @ViewScoped stuff (as I wrote the original parts for both codi and seam3), the ComparableQualifier and later on do the JPA cleanup.
>
> What do others like to work on?
>
> What timeframe do we set for 0.4-incubating?
>

> LieGrue,
> strub

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Romain Manni-Bucau
cdi-query is clearly sthg we should add,

i'll be off for 2 weeks but can help after

*Romain Manni-Bucau*
*Twitter: @rmannibucau*
*Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com*

RE: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

thomashug
Yep, already on the list - so far mainly in reading mode :-)

Given that this would not interfere with any planned JPA module cleanups I'd look forward starting with porting CDI Query over to DS. Capacity is limited for the next month but I can allocate more after JavaOne. Some stuff that could be done before:
- Porting the Solder ServiceHandler
- Porting the Solder Property Utils

Also there are some features which are not yet ready for prime time, I guess we could start with a limited feature set going through a review / polish.

Cheers,
Tom

HTH

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Mark Struberg
Administrator
btw, Pete, Jason, Shane what is with the rest of the BeanBuilder stuff?
Did we import that already? Like to work on it?

> Yep, already on the list - so far mainly in reading mode :-)
>
> Given that this would not interfere with any planned JPA module cleanups I'd
> look forward starting with porting CDI Query over to DS. Capacity is limited for
> the next month but I can allocate more after JavaOne. Some stuff that could be
> done before:
> - Porting the Solder ServiceHandler
> - Porting the Solder Property Utils
>
> Also there are some features which are not yet ready for prime time, I guess we
> could start with a limited feature set going through a review / polish.
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

wonder if we could get a JMX feature ( @ManagedBean,  @ManagedAttribute
etc..)

i'm not sure of the undeploy event

*Romain Manni-Bucau*
*Twitter: @rmannibucau*
*Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com*

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Charles Moulliard-2
A point that I forget in my list concerns the following ticket
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DELTASPIKE-263

Twitter : @cmoulliard
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] roadmap for deltaspike-0.4-incubating

Pete Muir
IIRC Jason imported it all.

On 25 Aug 2012, at 12:08, Mark Struberg wrote:

> btw, Pete, Jason, Shane what is with the rest of the BeanBuilder stuff?
> Did we import that already? Like to work on it?
>
> LieGrue,
> strub

12