[DISCUSS] modules and basic tasks for deltaspike v0.2

[DISCUSS] modules and basic tasks for deltaspike v0.2

Gerhard Petracek
Administrator
hi @ all,

(i planned to send this mail after starting the release procedure for v0.1.
however, the review phase for v0.1 is going to end soon and we have seen
several other discussions already.)

imo with v0.2 we should start working on multiple modules in parallel.

e.g.:
 - security (that's also one of the few parts of myfaces codi-core we
haven't discussed so far)
 - jpa
 - (core - further features, refactorings, ...)

imo: since we agreed on "release early and often", it should be enough for
the next ~6 weeks.

furthermore, we can check the legal aspects concerning the upcoming
donations before starting technical discussions about those
modules/features (e.g. the spring-cdi integration module).

regards,

Re: [DISCUSS] modules and basic tasks for deltaspike v0.2

Jason Porter
We also have features from Solder which still need to be moved in as well.

--
Jason Porter
http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com

Software Engineer
Open Source Advocate

PGP key id: 926CCFF5

Re: [DISCUSS] modules and basic tasks for deltaspike v0.2

Marius Bogoevici

On 2012-01-27, at 3:55 AM, Gerhard Petracek wrote:

> hi @ all,
>
> (i planned to send this mail after starting the release procedure for v0.1.
> however, the review phase for v0.1 is going to end soon and we have seen
> several other discussions already.)
>
> imo with v0.2 we should start working on multiple modules in parallel.
>
> e.g.:
> - security (that's also one of the few parts of myfaces codi-core we
> haven't discussed so far)
> - jpa
> - (core - further features, refactorings, ...)
>
> imo: since we agreed on "release early and often", it should be enough for
> the next ~6 weeks.
>
> furthermore, we can check the legal aspects concerning the upcoming
> donations before starting technical discussions about those
> modules/features (e.g. the spring-cdi integration module).

From a legal standpoint, the Seam 3 Spring module is pretty much ok.

> regards,
> gerhard

Re: [DISCUSS] modules and basic tasks for deltaspike v0.2

Gerhard Petracek
hi jason,

it was intended to cover it with "core - further features ...".
however, you are right - there are some features which might get part of a
different module.

regards,
gerhard

2012/1/27 Jason Porter <[hidden email]>

> We also have features from Solder which still need to be moved in as well.
>
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 01:55, Gerhard Petracek
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > hi @ all,
> >
> > (i planned to send this mail after starting the release procedure for
> v0.1.
> > however, the review phase for v0.1 is going to end soon and we have seen
> > several other discussions already.)
> >
> > imo with v0.2 we should start working on multiple modules in parallel.
> >
> > e.g.:
> >  - security (that's also one of the few parts of myfaces codi-core we
> > haven't discussed so far)
> >  - jpa
> >  - (core - further features, refactorings, ...)
> >
> > imo: since we agreed on "release early and often", it should be enough
> for
> > the next ~6 weeks.
> >
> > furthermore, we can check the legal aspects concerning the upcoming
> > donations before starting technical discussions about those
> > modules/features (e.g. the spring-cdi integration module).
> >
> > regards,
> > gerhard
> >

> --
> Jason Porter
> http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
> http://twitter.com/lightguardjp
>
> Software Engineer
> Open Source Advocate
> Author of Seam Catch - Next Generation Java Exception Handling
>
> PGP key id: 926CCFF5
> PGP key available at: keyserver.net, pgp.mit.edu

Re: [DISCUSS] modules and basic tasks for deltaspike v0.2

Jason Porter
Okay, got it :)

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:35, Gerhard Petracek
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> hi jason,
>
> it was intended to cover it with "core - further features ...".
> however, you are right - there are some features which might get part of a
> different module.
>
> regards,
> gerhard
>

> 2012/1/27 Jason Porter <[hidden email]>
>
> > We also have features from Solder which still need to be moved in as
> well.
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 01:55, Gerhard Petracek
> > <[hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > > hi @ all,
> > >
> > > (i planned to send this mail after starting the release procedure for
> > v0.1.
> > > however, the review phase for v0.1 is going to end soon and we have
> seen
> > > several other discussions already.)
> > >
> > > imo with v0.2 we should start working on multiple modules in parallel.
> > >
> > > e.g.:
> > >  - security (that's also one of the few parts of myfaces codi-core we
> > > haven't discussed so far)
> > >  - jpa
> > >  - (core - further features, refactorings, ...)
> > >
> > > imo: since we agreed on "release early and often", it should be enough
> > for
> > > the next ~6 weeks.
> > >
> > > furthermore, we can check the legal aspects concerning the upcoming
> > > donations before starting technical discussions about those
> > > modules/features (e.g. the spring-cdi integration module).
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > gerhard
> > >

> > --
> > Jason Porter
> > http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
> > http://twitter.com/lightguardjp
> >
> > Software Engineer
> > Open Source Advocate
> > Author of Seam Catch - Next Generation Java Exception Handling
> >
> > PGP key id: 926CCFF5
> > PGP key available at: keyserver.net, pgp.mit.edu

--
Jason Porter
http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/lightguardjp

Software Engineer
Open Source Advocate

PGP key id: 926CCFF5

Re: [DISCUSS] modules and basic tasks for deltaspike v0.2

Shane Bryzak-2
On 27/01/12 16:55, Gerhard Petracek wrote:

> hi @ all,
>
> (i planned to send this mail after starting the release procedure for v0.1.
> however, the review phase for v0.1 is going to end soon and we have seen
> several other discussions already.)
>
> imo with v0.2 we should start working on multiple modules in parallel.
>
> e.g.:
>   - security (that's also one of the few parts of myfaces codi-core we
> haven't discussed so far)

I'd like to open a discussion on the security requirements in the next
few days, both myself and Bolek Dawidowicz (another Red Hat employee who
wrote the PicketLink IDM module) plan to develop a new CDI-based
security solution based on Seam Security and PicketLink IDM, and I think
the DeltaSpike umbrella would be the perfect place to do this.  We are
just waiting to get internal clearance on this before we can proceed,
which should hopefully happen by the middle of this week.

>   - jpa
>   - (core - further features, refactorings, ...)
>
> imo: since we agreed on "release early and often", it should be enough for
> the next ~6 weeks.
>
> furthermore, we can check the legal aspects concerning the upcoming
> donations before starting technical discussions about those
> modules/features (e.g. the spring-cdi integration module).
>
> regards,
> gerhard

Re: [DISCUSS] modules and basic tasks for deltaspike v0.2

Pete Muir

On 30 Jan 2012, at 01:01, Shane Bryzak wrote:

> On 27/01/12 16:55, Gerhard Petracek wrote:
>> hi @ all,
>>
>> (i planned to send this mail after starting the release procedure for v0.1.
>> however, the review phase for v0.1 is going to end soon and we have seen
>> several other discussions already.)
>>
>> imo with v0.2 we should start working on multiple modules in parallel.
>>
>> e.g.:
>>  - security (that's also one of the few parts of myfaces codi-core we
>> haven't discussed so far)
>
> I'd like to open a discussion on the security requirements in the next few days, both myself and Bolek Dawidowicz (another Red Hat employee who wrote the PicketLink IDM module) plan to develop a new CDI-based security solution based on Seam Security and PicketLink IDM, and I think the DeltaSpike umbrella would be the perfect place to do this.  We are just waiting to get internal clearance on this before we can proceed, which should hopefully happen by the middle of this week.

Note that "based on Seam Security and PicketLink IDM" does not mean "using PicketLink IDM and Seam Security as libs" but rather "inspired by previous work on …" :-)

I know that Dan has been looking at Shiro, and that CODI has some good security extensions, so I think we could be well placed!